This is a SUPER easy guide on Seaborgium element.
In fact, the table mentioned below is the perfect information box (Which gives you every single detail about the Seaborgium element in Periodic table.)
So if you want to know anything about Seaborgium element, then this guide is for you.
Let’s finish this very quickly.
Seaborgium Element (Sg) Information
|State of Seaborgium at STP||Solid (predicted)|
|Position of Seaborgium in Periodic table|
Group: 6, Period: 7, Block: d
|Category of Seaborgium element|
|Atomic number of Seaborgium, or |
Protons in Seaborgium
|Neutrons in Seaborgium||157|
|Electrons in Seaborgium||106|
|Symbol of Seaborgium||Sg|
|Atomic mass of Seaborgium (most stable isotope)|| |
|Electrons arrangement in Seaborgium|
Bohr model of Seaborgium
2, 8, 18, 32, 32, 12, 2
|Electronic configuration of Seaborgium||[Rn] 5f14 6d4 7s2|
|Crystal structure of Seaborgium (predicted)|
BCC (body centered cubic)
|Density of Seaborgium (predicted)||23-24 g/cm3|
|Who discovered Seaborgium and when?||Albert Ghiorso and his team (in 1974)|
See how this Interactive Periodic Table helps you
- You can effortlessly find every single detail about the elements from this single Interactive Periodic table.
- You will get the detailed information about the periodic table which will convert a newbie into pro.
- You will also get the HD images of the Periodic table (for FREE).
Seaborgium in Periodic table
Seaborgium element is in group 6 and in period 7 of the Periodic table. Seaborgium is the d-block element and it belongs to transition metals group.
Click on above elements (in Periodic table) to see their information or Visit Interactive Periodic Table (which shows names, symbol, atomic mass, electron configuration, electrons arrangement, etc. of all the elements)
Click on above elements (in Periodic table) to see their information
Why is Seaborgium in Period 7?
Let me ask you a question.
How many shells does a seaborgium atom have?
It’s 7. Right?
You have already seen the bohr model of seaborgium atom in the above table.
From the Bohr model, it can be found that the number of orbits or shells in seaborgium is 7. Hence, as seaborgium has 7 orbits, it lies in period 7 of the Periodic table.
Why is Seaborgium in d-block?
Before knowing this reason, first of all I want to ask you a simple question.
How can you determine the blocks-wise position of elements?
The simple answer: The elements will lie in the s, p, d or f block will completely depend upon the subshell in which the last electron will enter.
For example; the electron configuration of seaborgium is [Rn] 5f14 6d4 7s2.
So the last electron of seaborgium enters the d-subshell or d-orbital.
Hence, seaborgium is the d-block element.
5 facts about Seaborgium
Interesting facts about seaborgium element are mentioned below.
- The element was given the name “Seaborgium” to honor the well known chemist Glenn T. Seaborg.
- Seaborgium was discovered by Albert Ghiorso and his team (in 1974) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, California.
- Seaborgium is a synthetic element which is not found naturally, but it is artificially created in a laboratory.
- Seaborgium has around 12 known isotopes, and all those isotopes are radioactive in nature.
- Out of all the known isotopes of seaborgium, the most stable isotope is 271Sg, which has a halflife of 2.4 minutes.
Properties of Seaborgium
The physical and chemical properties of seaborgium element are mentioned below.
- Seaborgium is a radioactive and unstable element having a very short half-life (few minutes).
- Seaborgium is expected to be solid at room temperature.
- The predicted crystal structure of seaborgium is BCC (i.e body centered cubic).
- According to some experiments, the most common oxidation state of seaborgium is +6, in the gas phase as well as in aqueous solutions.
- The predicted atomic mass of the most stable isotope of seaborgium is 269 u and its predicted density is between 23-24 g/cm3.
Uses of Seaborgium
Seaborgium is mostly used for scientific research work. It has no commercial uses due to its radioactive nature and scarcity.
Free Gift for you: Interactive Periodic Table
Let me tell you how this Interactive Periodic Table will help you in your studies.
1). You can effortlessly find every single detail about the elements from this single Interactive Periodic table.
2). You will get the detailed information about the periodic table which will convert a newbie into pro.
3). You will also get the HD images of the Periodic table (for FREE).
Checkout Interactive Periodic table and download it’s high resolution image now (It’s FREE)