This is a SUPER easy guide on Darmstadtium element.
In fact, the table mentioned below is the perfect information box (Which gives you every single detail about the Darmstadtium element in Periodic table.)
So if you want to know anything about Darmstadtium element, then this guide is for you.
Let’s finish this very quickly.
Darmstadtium Element (Ds) Information
|State of Darmstadtium at STP||Solid (predicted)|
|Position of Darmstadtium in Periodic table|
Group: 10, Period: 7, Block: d
|Category of Darmstadtium element||Synthetic element|
|Atomic number of Darmstadtium, or |
Protons in Darmstadtium
|Neutrons in Darmstadtium||151|
|Electrons in Darmstadtium||110|
|Symbol of Darmstadtium||Ds|
|Atomic mass of Darmstadtium (most stable isotope)|| |
|Electrons arrangement in Darmstadtium|
Bohr model of Darmstadtium
2, 8, 18, 32, 32, 16, 2
|Electronic configuration of Darmstadtium||[Rn] 5f14 6d8 7s2|
|Crystal structure of Darmstadtium (predicted)|
BCC (body centered cubic)
|Density of Darmstadtium||26-27 g/cm3|
|Main isotope of Darmstadtium||281Ds|
See how this Interactive Periodic Table helps you
- You can effortlessly find every single detail about the elements from this single Interactive Periodic table.
- You will get the detailed information about the periodic table which will convert a newbie into pro.
- You will also get the HD images of the Periodic table (for FREE).
Darmstadtium in Periodic table
Darmstadtium element is in group 10 and in period 7 of the Periodic table. Darmstadtium is the d-block element and it is a radioactive synthetic element.
Click on above elements (in Periodic table) to see their information or Visit Interactive Periodic Table (which shows names, symbol, atomic mass, electron configuration, electrons arrangement, etc. of all the elements)
Click on above elements (in Periodic table) to see their information
Why is Darmstadtium in Period 7?
Let me ask you a question.
How many shells does a darmstadtium atom have?
It’s 7. Right?
You have already seen the bohr model of darmstadtium atom in the above table.
From the Bohr model, it can be found that the number of orbits or shells in darmstadtium is 7. Hence, as darmstadtium has 7 orbits, it lies in period 7 of the Periodic table.
Why is Darmstadtium in d-block?
Before knowing this reason, first of all I want to ask you a simple question.
How can you determine the blocks-wise position of elements?
The simple answer: The elements will lie in the s, p, d or f block will completely depend upon the subshell in which the last electron will enter.
For example; the electron configuration of darmstadtium is [Rn] 5f14 6d8 7s2.
So the last electron of darmstadtium enters the d-subshell or d-orbital.
Hence, darmstadtium is the d-block element.
5 facts about Darmstadtium
Interesting facts about darmstadtium element are mentioned below.
- The name of element “Darmstadtium” came from “Darmstadt”, which is a city in Germany, where this element was discovered.
- Darmstadtium is not found naturally, but it is prepared artificially in a laboratory.
- Darmstadtium was discovered by Peter Armbruster and Gottfried Münzenberg under the guidance of Sigurd Hofmann, in Germany.
- There are 9 known isotopes of darmstadtium, and all these isotopes are extremely radioactive.
- Out of all the known isotopes of darmstadtium, the isotope 281Ds is most stable and has a half life of only 12.5 seconds.
Properties of Darmstadtium
The physical and chemical properties of darmstadtium element are mentioned below.
- The darmstadtium element is a radioactive synthetic element and it has a very short half-life (of few seconds).
- The predicted phase of darmstadtium is solid at room temperature.
- The calculated atomic mass of the most stable isotope of darmstadtium is 281 u and its density is 26-27 g/cm3.
- The predicted crystal structure of Darmstadtium element is BCC (body centered cubic).
- The most stable oxidation states of darmstadtium are predicted to be +6, +4 and +2.
Uses of Darmstadtium
Darmstadtium is generally used for scientific research work in chemistry. There is no commercial use of Darmstadtium due to its radioactive nature and very little half-life.
Free Gift for you: Interactive Periodic Table
Let me tell you how this Interactive Periodic Table will help you in your studies.
1). You can effortlessly find every single detail about the elements from this single Interactive Periodic table.
2). You will get the detailed information about the periodic table which will convert a newbie into pro.
3). You will also get the HD images of the Periodic table (for FREE).
Checkout Interactive Periodic table and download it’s high resolution image now (It’s FREE)