This is a SUPER easy guide on Dubnium element.
In fact, the table mentioned below is the perfect information box (Which gives you every single detail about the Dubnium element in Periodic table.)
So if you want to know anything about Dubnium element, then this guide is for you.
Let’s finish this very quickly.
Dubnium Element (Db) Information
|State (at STP)||Solid (predicted)|
|Position in Periodic table|
Group: 5, Period: 7, Block: d
|Atomic number or |
|Atomic mass of Dubnium (most stable isotope)|| |
2, 8, 18, 32, 32, 11, 2
|Electronic configuration||[Rn] 5f14 6d3 7s2|
|Crystal structure (predicted)|
BCC (body centered cubic)
|Density (predicted)||21.6 g/cm3|
See how this Interactive Periodic Table helps you
- You can effortlessly find every single detail about the elements from this single Interactive Periodic table.
- You will get the detailed information about the periodic table which will convert a newbie into pro.
- You will also get the HD images of the Periodic table (for FREE).
Dubnium in Periodic table
Dubnium element is in group 5 and in period 7 of the Periodic table. Dubnium is the d-block element and it belongs to transition metals group.
Click on above elements (in Periodic table) to see their information or Visit Interactive Periodic Table (which shows names, symbol, atomic mass, electron configuration, electrons arrangement, etc. of all the elements)
Click on above elements (in Periodic table) to see their information
Why is Dubnium in Period 7?
Let me ask you a question.
How many shells does a dubnium atom have?
It’s 7. Right?
You have already seen the bohr model of dubnium atom in the above table.
From the Bohr model, it can be found that the number of orbits or shells in dubnium is 7. Hence, as dubnium has 7 orbits, it lies in period 7 of the Periodic table.
Why is Dubnium in d-block?
Before knowing this reason, first of all I want to ask you a simple question.
How can you determine the blocks-wise position of elements?
The simple answer: The elements will lie in the s, p, d or f block will completely depend upon the subshell in which the last electron will enter.
For example; the electron configuration of dubnium is [Rn] 5f14 6d3 7s2.
So the last electron of dubnium enters the d-subshell or d-orbital.
Hence, dubnium is the d-block element.
5 facts about Dubnium
Interesting facts about dubnium element are mentioned below.
- The name of the element “dubnium” was derived from the town “Dubna” which is in Moscow, Russia.
- Dubnium was discovered individually by the researchers of Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (Russia), as well as researchers of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (California).
- Dubnium is a radioactive element that does not occur naturally, but it is prepared artificially in the laboratory.
- There are total of 7 known isotopes of dubnium and all those isotopes are radioactive in nature.
- Out of all the known isotopes, the isotope with the longest half-life is 268Db (with a half-life of 28 hours).
Properties of Dubnium
The physical and chemical properties of dubnium element are mentioned below.
- Dubnium is a highly radioactive element and it is unstable.
- The predicted crystal structure of dubnium is BCC (i.e body centered cubic).
- The predicted atomic mass of dubnium is 268 u and its estimated density is 21.6 g/cm3.
- According to researchers, the oxidation state +5 is more stable than the common oxidation states +2 and +3 which is generally seen in other elements preceding dubnium.
Uses of Dubnium
Dubnium is mostly used for scientific research work. It has no commercial uses due to its scarcity and a very short half-life.
Free Gift for you: Interactive Periodic Table
Let me tell you how this Interactive Periodic Table will help you in your studies.
1). You can effortlessly find every single detail about the elements from this single Interactive Periodic table.
2). You will get the detailed information about the periodic table which will convert a newbie into pro.
3). You will also get the HD images of the Periodic table (for FREE).
Checkout Interactive Periodic table and download it’s high resolution image now (It’s FREE)
- Dubnium – Element information, properties and uses | Periodic Table. (n.d.). Dubnium – Element Information, Properties and Uses | Periodic Table. https://www.rsc.org/periodic-table/element/105/dubnium
- Dubnium – Wikipedia. (2018, March 24). Dubnium – Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubnium
- It’s Elemental – The Element Dubnium. (n.d.). It’s Elemental – the Element Dubnium. https://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele105.html
- P. (n.d.). Dubnium | Db (Element) – PubChem. Dubnium | Db (Element) – PubChem. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/element/Dubnium
- Periodic Table of Elements: Los Alamos National Laboratory. (n.d.). Periodic Table of Elements: Los Alamos National Laboratory. https://periodic.lanl.gov/105.shtml
- C&EN: IT’S ELEMENTAL: THE PERIODIC TABLE – DUBNIUM. (n.d.). C&EN: IT’S ELEMENTAL: THE PERIODIC TABLE – DUBNIUM. http://pubsapp.acs.org/cen/80th/dubnium.html?
- Dubnium | CCDC. (n.d.). Dubnium | CCDC. https://www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/elements/dubnium/