This is a SUPER easy guide on Bohrium element.
In fact, the table mentioned below is the perfect information box (Which gives you every single detail about the Bohrium element in Periodic table.)
So if you want to know anything about Bohrium element, then this guide is for you.
Let’s dive right into it!
Bohrium Element (Bh) Information
|Position in Periodic table|
Group: 7, Period: 7, Block: d
|Atomic number or |
|Atomic mass of Bohrium (most stable isotope)|| |
2, 8, 18, 32, 32, 13, 2
|Electronic configuration||[Rn] 5f14 6d5 7s2|
|Crystal structure (predicted)|
HCP (hexagonal close packed)
|Density (predicted)||26-27 g/cm3|
See how this Interactive Periodic Table helps you
- You can effortlessly find every single detail about the elements from this single Interactive Periodic table.
- You will get the detailed information about the periodic table which will convert a newbie into pro.
- You will also get the HD images of the Periodic table (for FREE).
Bohrium in Periodic table
Bohrium element is in group 7 and in period 7 of the Periodic table. Bohrium is the d-block element and it belongs to transition metals group.
Click on above elements (in Periodic table) to see their information or Visit Interactive Periodic Table (which shows names, symbol, atomic mass, electron configuration, electrons arrangement, etc. of all the elements)
Click on above elements (in Periodic table) to see their information
Why is Bohrium in Period 7?
Let me ask you a question.
How many shells does a bohrium atom have?
It’s 7. Right?
You have already seen the bohr model of bohrium atom in the above table.
From the Bohr model, it can be found that the number of orbits or shells in bohrium is 7. Hence, as bohrium has 7 orbits, it lies in period 7 of the Periodic table.
Why is Bohrium in d-block?
Before knowing this reason, first of all I want to ask you a simple question.
How can you determine the blocks-wise position of elements?
The simple answer: The elements will lie in the s, p, d or f block will completely depend upon the subshell in which the last electron will enter.
For example; the electron configuration of bohrium is [Rn] 5f14 6d5 7s2.
So the last electron of bohrium enters the d-subshell or d-orbital.
Hence, bohrium is the d-block element.
5 facts about Bohrium
Interesting facts about bohrium element are mentioned below.
- The element was given the name “Bohrium” to honor the physicist Neils Bohr.
- Bohrium element was discovered by Peter Armbruster and his team in 1981, at Darmstadt, Germany.
- Bohrium is not found naturally, but it is artificially prepared in the laboratory.
- There are around 12 isotopes of bohrium and all are radioactive in nature.
- The most stable isotope of bohrium is 270Bh, which has a half life of only 61 seconds.
Properties of Bohrium
The physical and chemical properties of bohrium element are mentioned below.
- Bohrium is a radioactive element which has a very short half life (few seconds).
- Bohrium is expected to have a solid phase at STP.
- The calculated atomic mass of the most stable isotope of bohrium is 270 u and its density is predicted to be 26-27 g/cm3.
- The predicted crystal structure of bohrium is HCP (i.e hexagonal close packed).
- The common oxidation state of bohrium is expected to be +7, but it may show other oxidation states like +3, +4 and +5.
Uses of Bohrium
Bohrium is generally used for research work in chemistry. There is no commercial use of bohrium due to its radioactive nature and very little half-life.
Free Gift for you: Interactive Periodic Table
Let me tell you how this Interactive Periodic Table will help you in your studies.
1). You can effortlessly find every single detail about the elements from this single Interactive Periodic table.
2). You will get the detailed information about the periodic table which will convert a newbie into pro.
3). You will also get the HD images of the Periodic table (for FREE).
Checkout Interactive Periodic table and download it’s high resolution image now (It’s FREE)
- Bohrium – Element information, properties and uses | Periodic Table. (n.d.). Bohrium – Element Information, Properties and Uses | Periodic Table. https://www.rsc.org/periodic-table/element/107/bohrium
- Bohrium – Wikipedia. (2013, October 4). Bohrium – Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohrium
- P. (n.d.). Bohrium | Bh (Element) – PubChem. Bohrium | Bh (Element) – PubChem. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/element/Bohrium
- It’s Elemental – The Element Bohrium. (n.d.). It’s Elemental – the Element Bohrium. https://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele107.html
- Eichler, R., Brüchle, W., Dressler, R., Düllmann, C., Eichler, B., Gäggeler, H. W., Gregorich, K. E., Hoffman, D. C., Hübener, S., Jost, D. T., Kirbach, U. W., Laue, C. A., Lavanchy, V. M., Nitsche, H., Patin, J. B., Piguet, D., Schädel, M., Shaughnessy, D. A., Strellis, D. A., . . . Yakushev, A. B. (2000, September). Chemical characterization of bohrium (element 107). Nature, 407(6800), 63–65. https://doi.org/10.1038/35024044